Friday, April 10, 2009

Seven Last Words of Christ

Although the order cannot be determined, here are the last words of Christ from the cross, as He was dying for our sins:

•The Word of Forgiveness
–Luke 23:34 “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
•The Word of Salvation
–Luke 23:43 “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”
•The Word of Desolation
–Mark 15:34 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
•The Word of Suffering & Sovereignty
–John 19:28 “I am thirsty.”
•The Word of Community
–John 19:25-27 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
•The Word of Commitment
–Luke 23:46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last
•The Word of Completion
–John 19:30 “It is finished.”

The cross was not a mistake. It was not a mishap. It was a part of God’s plan from the very beginning. It is the intentional sacrifice of the Good Shepherd on behalf of the sheep.

“It is finished”
i. NOT, “Whew, that’s over.”
ii. NOT, “I’ve had it!”
iii. Greek: 'tetelestai' – “It is in the present condition of having been accomplished!”
iv. It is complete!
What is complete? Our salvation. Praise His Name! He Lives! He is seated at the right hand of the Father ever making intercession for us.

God ALWAYS works for two things:
1. our good
2. His glory

ALL of this is from my notes from Pastor Ryan's classes.
Happy Resurrection Day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Char, I have loved reading these posts. It has brought new joy to my heart and soul to recount what Jesus has done for me! Thank you so very much for sharing!

    Many hugs..........

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice article I like your blog and your articles who is so good.
    Web design india

    ReplyDelete